Search Everything Octopus

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Video: Unique and Fascinating Octopus!

Octopus strange behavior, Passing cloud display from Matteo Guardini on Vimeo.


Video Description
During a night dive in Philippines, I filmed a strange octopus.
It was in 1,5 meters of water in sand and rock bottom.
Its size resemble those of the blue ring octopus.
I was very impressed by his behavior.
Compared to the other octopuses, it did not camouflage with the bottom but it relesed a strange skin effect.
Frequently a dark row start from its head and goes down till the front arms like a flash.
I had the impression that he told me: be careful, I am dangerous!
This effect is called "passing cloud".

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The way the effect occurs only when the fleeing octopus stops gives me the impression that it is intended to mislead a predator. If I squint, it gives me the impression that the stopped octopus is still moving forward, so with poor eyesight I lose its location. Just a hypothesis.